February 14, 2019
A picture is worth a thousand words! Network Diagrams – WST
This is especially true when talking about network diagrams. A network diagram is a roadmap that helps you illustrate and document what a network looks like, and how things are connected.
The following diagrams should be maintained:
- WAN topology that clearly shows all ISP, VPN, and WAN connections, wireless connections, LAN segments along with router, firewall and IDS implementations.
- Individual LAN topologies showing default gateways, DNS implementation, all servers, and all network devices.
Here are some key elements of good network diagrams:
- Keeping a diagram current and accurate is important, so network diagrams should be updated at least quarterly or after network changes.
- Label items with a name, function, and IP address(s).
- The look and feel of the diagrams should be consistent, and a common set of visual objects should be used where possible.
- Network diagrams should also contain a title that clearly defines the nature of the diagram, confidential statement notice, name of the author, and date of creation / last update.
If you outsource your IT, make sure your vendor is providing you with current and accurate diagrams.