May 17, 2018
Email Security Tips – WST
Most businesses consider email a vital part of their day-to-day operations. They depend on it to communicate with clients, vendors, employees, and new hires. Unfortunately, email also provides a tool that bad actors can use to gain a foothold on your network. It’s up to the institution to ensure they are doing their due diligence when it comes to email. Below is a list of security tips to consider.
- Be suspicious of ANY links in an email message. Hover your cursor over the link to display the actual URL – if you don’t recognize it or it doesn’t fit the context of the email, just delete it!
- Never click links or open attachments from unsolicited email. Ask yourself some questions: Do I know this person? Do I trust this person? Am I expecting this? Do I know what this is or what this is about?
- Run antivirus software on your local machine and keep it up-to-date.
- Keep your operating system, browser, and email client up-to-date.
- Ensure antispam and antivirus software or services are being used for all inbound and outbound email.
- Implement an encryption solution, to secure emails containing sensitive information.